Spread the Fun!

Googlicious!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Rain Drop Dodgers: Utah, Same-Sex Marriage, and the Mormon Church




So, here we are again with a group fighting against same-sex marriages. This time it's the Mormon Church (among other entities, I'm sure) attempting to get same-sex marriages halted in Utah after a ban on same-sex marriage was lifted. Check out this article about it that was posted today, complete with video. I've pretty much summed up my argument on the general issue of people railing so vehemently against same-sex marriages in a previous post. I'm really curious about why the Mormons are so against the legalization of it since they can always opt not to perform or recognize same-sex marriages in their own institution. I guess the same goes for just about any other religious group. Why try to ban cable TV so I can't have it in my house? Just don't get cable for yourself.

According to Gallup, LGBT-identifying people only make up about 3.5% of the population of the United States. So, of that figure, there are going to be 4 factors that shrink the percentage even more.

1. Just like heterosexuals, not every homosexual wants to get married.

2. The bisexual people included in this survey may end up marrying a person of the opposite sex.

3. Some of the people who noted that they identified as gay may have only done so for the sake of the survey, but carry themselves as heterosexual throughout their daily lives (i.e., are still "in the closet").

4. If the trans-gender people marry someone of the same birth sex (for instance, a male who becomes a female marries a man), it still "appears" to be a heterosexual marriage.

Really? All this over 3.5% (or much less)? What happened to not judging people and loving your neighbor?





Again, I can understand people having different beliefs about what's good and bad or right and wrong, but, at the end of the day, if I can live my life, right alongside you living yours, does it really bother you so much if I'm allowed to do it legally and with the same rights bestowed upon you?

Leave thoughts and comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment